Friday, December 2, 2011

"Super Committee's" Failure Shows, We're On Our Own

English: President Barack Obama speaks to a jo...Image via WikipediaOnly in Washington D.C. can you meet for half a year and return with no results. If Congress were employees of a company they would be immediately fired. Their failure sets in motion automatic budgets cuts that take place in 2013.

It doesn't matter who's at fault, the people will have to pay the price to clean up the mess. The automatic cuts will total 1.2 trillion dollars over 10 years. It sounds like a lot of money but over ten years it amounts to only 120 billion per year. That is about 10 percent of the $1 trillion dollar yearly deficit. What happens to the other 90 percent of the deficit. The politicians failure to make needed spending cuts frees them from the burden of taking the blame in the next election. With the election one year away who wants to take the blame for budget cuts.

I remember only a few years ago when a committee was assigned a task to come up with recommendations concerning the deficit. After a year deliberating the committee came up with recommendations for the president. The president didn't take action on any of them. From now on whenever I hear the word committee coming out of Washington, I will think big waste of time. I wonder why politicians don't understand how people have lost faith in their government.

Related: The Deficit Commission Comes In DOA


What's the average person do now?

The problem with all this is the people have become all to dependent on their government for all their needs. The government can't get out of its own way. We believe Washington can fix anything. It can't fix itself, how can it fix your problems?

It only makes me wonder when I am living in retirement, what I will be doing. I don't want to be living under the hopeful good intentions of a government led by men who have to do things not for my benefit but to get themselves elected again. We have finally pushed the limits on the nanny-state. Cradle to grave care by the government is a dismal failure. Trusting in a government that can give a retirement check, can also be a government that can take one away from you.

The most important lesson learned from all this is that you are responsible for your own welfare. It's your job to take care of you. Only you can take care of yourself. Preparing for your health care and retirement is your job. Remember the old saying, "If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself."

With the new year coming, make a resolution to prepare for your future. Save and invest to take care of yourself before it's to late. Start that Roth Ira and get that health care arranged. Start that emergency fund. Quit buying everything in site. Invest the money into your future.

2 comments:

  1. Start over. Every incumbent - President, senate, representative must be removed in their next election. That's how this mess gets fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe just limit everyone to one term. Its terrible they have no sense for to do the right thing for the country.

    ReplyDelete

Join 1000's of People Following 50 Plus Finance
Real Time Web Analytics