Showing posts with label HM Revenue Customs. Show all posts
Showing posts with label HM Revenue Customs. Show all posts

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Are You Paying Too Much Tax? – How to Claim Tax Back if You Are

Taxes (Photo credit: Tax Credits)
If you think you’ve been paying too much tax, then how do you claim tax back? Here’s the low down on how to get your money back and what to do if you think you’ve overpaid. Overpayment can appear in many guises, either through income tax, PAYE, self assessment, pension, savings or national insurance, so let’s take a look at each one in turn. 

Income Tax 

Tax on your income is taken from the amount that you earn each year and is broken down as follows. 

  • Anyone under 65 can earn up to and including £8165 before they’re taxed 
  • Anyone between the ages of 65 -74 can earn up to and including £10,500 
  • Anyone 75 and over can earn up to and including £10,660 
This system works well for a person with one full time job with a rate of pay that’s fixed. However it mightn’t be as straight forward for someone who doesn’t fit into this criteria. If you feel that you have been overpaying tax, then contact the HMRC, or use the free HMRC income tax checker. 


The majority of the UK workforce pay tax through the Pay As You Earn (PAYE) system which is deducted automatically from your salary. PAYE uses a tax code to determine how much tax you should be paying, but if your pay fluctuates or you’re not employed for the full year, then again, you could be paying too much tax. If you believe this to be the case, then you should contact HMRC and ask for a tax assessment. Claims can be backdated for as much as four years. 

Self Assessment 

If you are self employed and feel that you have been paying too much tax, then similarly to PAYE you need to get in touch with HMRC. You have four years to claim backdated overpayments. Alternatively if you need to make a claim, or to correct a mistake on your last tax form, then you can do so by completing an amendment form. This is again available from the HMRC. 


Tax can be paid either on personal, company or indeed state pensions and there may be a chance that you are paying over the top. This can be for a number of reasons. It could be that: 

  • You've been allocated an incorrect tax code 
  • Your entitlements have changed 
  • Your circumstances have changed (ie age) 
Again contact the HMRC explaining the situation, but you’ll need evidence such as your P60, P45, and any other information relating to your pensions and benefits.


The majority of savings accounts automatically deduct tax from the interest on your savings before it hits the bank. If you are excluded tax (ie filled in an R85 form) or your savings are in an ISA, then you shouldn’t have to pay standard savings tax. If you are, then ask for and fill in an R40 form and contact your local tax office. 

National Insurance 

If you’ve had a succession of jobs in one year then chances are could be paying too much national insurance. Visit the DirectGov website to check out if you are indeed paying too much and which form you have to fill in. 

In essence, if you are paying too much tax, then don’t worry unnecessarily. As long as you know who to contact and what forms to fill in, you should be able to claim tax back easily. Claim Tax Back at

Join 1000's of People Following 50 Plus Finance
Real Time Web Analytics