Showing posts with label tax returns. Show all posts
Showing posts with label tax returns. Show all posts

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

What Happens When You Fail a Tax Audit?

A tax audit is a thorough examination of your taxable income and deductions by tax attorneys to verify that your tax records are accurate. 

Detection of tax errors in your tax reports could result in heavy penalties, including imprisonment. The following are some of the things that happen whenever you fail a tax audit.

The IRS Issues You With a Written Notification

Once the tax attorneys discover that you have failed in your tax audit, they issue you with a written report informing you of the tax audit findings. 

The tax attorneys normally send their findings to you within thirty days and allow you to fill in for any appeal. The audit report usually highlights the amount that you owe and the reason why you are guilty.

Assessing the Audit Report

As soon as you receive the tax audit report, the tax attorneys expect you to analyze it and send your opinion feedback. If you determine that you are guilty, you can pay the amount you owe and terminate the case. Tax auditors assume that you plead guilty to tax offenses whenever you fail to respond to the notification.

Court Appeal

The court process begins as soon as you fail to respond to IRS notification where you are assumed to be guilty. At this stage, you are allowed to present your case and defend yourself from the litigation process. 

After this, the court of law could determine that you are guilty and you have committed a tax offense. The court judge will give you reasons as to why you are guilty and charge you accordingly.

Jail Imprisonment

The court can imprison you for a term of about one year whenever they discover that you intentionally failed to file your tax returns. You are also subject to spending five years in prison whenever the court determines that you engaged in tax evasion during a specific time.

Hefty Court Fines

You can also be fined heavily in a year for every additional tax return you do not file. The court will add another fine whenever the tax attorney establishes that you filed fraudulent tax returns.

Failing in your tax audits is a severe offense that will result in hefty fines and imprisonment. It is crucial that you file your returns on time and reveal the correct information. You can appeal against the penalties imposed by the IRS in case you fail a tax audit.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What To Watch For This Tax Season

The tax season is the time of year when many families and individuals have to figure out what they owe in taxes or imagine what they are going to get back in a refund. However, there are some items that families and individuals have to look at to make sure that all of the bases are covered before a tax return is filed.

Each of these items are things for people over 50 to look out for when they are preparing their tax returns. There are considerations for people over 50 that are unique to them as parents and people with greater earning potential.

The House

Many people over 50 own their home and have for many years. However, house payments usually contain interest payments that can be used as deductions on a tax return. If the individual is going to make their payments faithfully, they should also use their interest payments to get a write-off on their return.


Many parents over 50 are paying for their children to go to college. These loans also have interest payments that can be written off just as they are with a home loan. However, the stressed parent of a college student may forget to deduct the interest payments that they have made while their child is still in college.


Parents over 50 may also have dependents that they can name on their income tax return. Having dependent children who live at home at least for part of the year can help to reduce an older parent's tax liability simply because the dependent helps to reduce the tax bracket that the individual falls under. Even if the child is an adult, they may be considered a dependent child who can be claimed on an income tax return.

Capital Gains

Many people who have been earning money for quite a long time may also have a long list of investments that they are juggling to produce income or as part of the retirement planning process. However, every dollar that is earned from the dividends on these holdings or from the sale of these holdings must be reported. Many people may forget these things and fail to report them on their income tax return. Failing to report these items on a tax return could cause the individual to be audited now or in the future.

Side Businesses

Many people who work for a living also have side businesses where they own properties and rent to tenants or do work on the side to earn extra cash. These side businesses all produce income meant to finance the family, but this money has to be reported on income tax returns to avoid the ire of the government.

Every person who does a little bit of work on the side must be certain that they are not only calculating how much money they are making but also notating the deductions they can take for that business.

Mileage reports, business expenses from internet connections to office supplies and even electronic equipment can be used as deductions for these side businesses. The only way the side business will be worth it at the end of the year is if the individual deducts all of the items they use for the business.

When looking at home to finance the family activities for the year as well as preparing for tax returns at the end of the year, the family can put together a tax return that accounts for interest payments, dependent children, side businesses and investment income. Wit all of these factors in play, any family can feel safe during the tax season.

Author Bio
Joshua Turner is a writer who creates informative articles in relation to business. In this article, he offers tax tips to individuals and aims to encourage further study with a masters degree in accounting.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

How to Amend Your IRS Tax Return

It's great to do your taxes early. All the stress and aggravation is long passed and your enjoying that nice fat refund check. But in the mail today came an additional W-2 income form. You completely forgot about it, what are you going to do now? The I.R.S. has just the solution to your problem. It's called form 1040X. With this form you can amend your incorrect tax return and satisfy your obligation to Uncle Sam.

Here are a few tips to help you with your 1040X:

  1. When to amend a return You should file an amended return if your filing status, your dependents, your total income or your deductions or credits were reported incorrectly.
  2. When NOT to amend a return In some cases, you do not need to amend your tax return. The IRS usually corrects math errors or requests missing forms – such as W-2s or schedules – when processing an original return. In these instances, do not amend your return.
  3. Form to use Use Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, to amend a previously filed Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. Make sure you check the box for the year of the return you are amending on the Form 1040X. Amended tax returns cannot be filed electronically.
  4. Multiple amended returns If you are amending more than one year’s tax return, prepare a 1040X for each return and mail them in separate envelopes to the appropriate IRS processing center.
  5. Form 1040X The Form 1040X has three columns. Column A shows original figures from the original return (if however, the return was previously amended or adjusted by IRS, use the adjusted figures). Column C shows the corrected figures. The difference between Column A and C is shown in Column B. There is an area on the back of the form to explain the specific changes and the reason for the change.
  6. Other forms or schedules If the changes involve other schedules or forms, attach them to the Form 1040X.
  7. Additional refund If you are filing to claim an additional refund, wait until you have received your original refund before filing Form 1040X. You may cash that check while waiting for any additional refund.
  8. Additional tax If you owe additional tax, you should file Form 1040X and pay the tax as soon as possible to limit interest and penalty charges.
  9. When to file Generally, to claim a refund, you must file Form 1040X within three years from the date you filed your original return or within two years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.
  10. Processing time Normal processing time for amended returns is 8 to 12 weeks.


Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
Instructions for Form 1040X

Join 1000's of People Following 50 Plus Finance
Real Time Web Analytics